Sunday, September 16, 2012

9/11 in First Grade

Hello!! It has been a while, but I'm here!!! I have to say I am in love with my class -- they are such great students and I really look forward to planning everything to do with them because I know they are just excited for learning as I am excited for teaching.

This past week was September 11th and I spent the day talking with my classroom about 9/11 and Patriot Day.  It makes me feel old when the students in my class were not born when 9/11 happened, yet I remember it as though it was yesterday.

We started our discussion of 9/11 after a read aloud of The Giving Tree on the afternoon of September 10th.  We talked as a class about what it means to help others and who helps us in school, at home, and in our community.  The students automatically came up with police and firemen that help us, which was a great introduction to discussion the heroes of 9/11 for the next day.  I told them that we would be talking tomorrow about something that happened eleven years ago and it changed the United States forever.  I really thought this discussion might be over their heads when I got into 9/11 and Patriot Day, but they were so intrigued that they LOVED it and asked so many questions about what happened and why it happened.  Unfortunately we had to pack up to go home, but I sent a letter home to parents to have them discuss their own experiences with their children regarding 9/11 to prepare for our discussion the next day.

The next morning, the students came into class wearing their red, white, and blue (something I requested for Patriot Day) and we went into the classroom next door to watch a BrainPop, Jr. video on 9/11.  We discussed with the other class about what a terrorist is (said that they do not like our country and want to cause people in our country to be afraid).  And then we discussed heroes of 9/11.

With the other class, we came up with  chart about heroes (A Hero Is, A Hero Can, and A Hero Helps) that the classes came up with together.  Next, we went back to our classroom to write about our hero (either a fire fighter or a police officer).  The students did an awesome job on these writing assignments and made them look beautiful!



(Sorry...I can't get the pictures to flip)

Then we came up with a letter we wanted to write to fire fighters to thank them for saving us.  The students then put their handprints in the shape of the twin towers.  I LOVED this and so did the students...it actually gave me chills while doing this and seeing the twin towers with the handprints because the students weren't alive, yet they are honoring those who risked their lives for our country.


I promised the students that their card would be delivered to some fire fighters and I don't break any promises!...


The firemen loved the card!  

I really think that 9/11 was a successful day and oh yeahhh I forgot...When I ask my class what a patriot is they respond by saying "A Patriot Loves (makes a heart with fingers) Their Country (puts their hands in the air)" and when I ask If they are Patriots, they say "I love (heart with fingers) my country (puts hands in air)"...I'm going to continue doing this throughout the year :)












No comments:

Post a Comment